Monday, October 10, 2005

All I Need to Know I Learned from a Taxi Driver...

I'm learning that one of the most interesting parts of living in this mega-metropolis in North Africa is the perspective on life that I get from the taxi drivers that I meet everyday. Many of the drivers ask if I am French, but the answer that I am American often brings a big smile. I have learned about everything from the first international agreement of the United States (the one that George Washington petitioned the Sultan for to aid in fighting off pirates), to where to sit in the football (soccer) stadium, to the woes of trying to obtain a US visa to join your 2nd wife in america... Wishing them a Happy Ramadan in Arabic (it sounds something like "my broke washer") brings an even greater smile and plenty of (undeserved) compliments!

4 Comments:

At 10/11/2005 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mahbrook! You're learning Arabic!! Now, if only I could learn it too. . . :-)

 
At 10/12/2005 4:33 AM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

You could come visit!

 
At 10/18/2005 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so where do you sit in the football stadium? Finally someone calling it by the right name football / soccer.

Bill

 
At 10/19/2005 5:06 AM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

if you come visit i will certainly make sure to find the best seats in the stadium! i think i am going to a game in the next week or so :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home