Saturday, August 20, 2005

"The Mystery Item"

During our week of new staff orientation we had a "mystery item" everyday. These were very odd looking (or smelling) items for which we created a variety of invented uses before our host gave away the truth (we think). It was a little like playing boulderdash with an object rather than a word. Maybe someday I'll steal some of Bethany's pictures and post a few of the contraptions. Bethany is quickly racking up points for the most pictures in our rookie group.

In the meantime, here's a mystery fruit for you... I kept noticing this little fruit on fruitstands as I passed them and wondered what it was. I never noticed it at my fruit guy's stand, so I never had a chance to ask about it until today. I went to Acima (they sell Auchan products - so I'm guessing they're related) and the lady next to me in the fruit section was picking some out, so I asked her what kind of fruit it was. She told me I really should try it to see and held one up. I was feeling a little hestitation since I've been told to bleach all my fresh produce to keep from getting sick. So I stuck to asking questions - "does it taste like a pear?" I asked. She looked up again, "No, it's really it's own taste, here try one and you'll see." At this point she took one and rubbed it shiny on her shirtsleeve. She smiled as she held it out, "try it". I looked at it and looked at her and decided to ignore all the thoughts about Kim's yucky food sickness experience here. I took a bite. She was right, it doesn't taste like any other fruit.



I picked out a few to bring home to have my roommates try. I took the bag over to the scales to have the weigh-er stamp a price on for me and I looked at the sticker "JUJUPE". So now I can say I have eaten Jujupes. That sounds like something from a Dr. Seuss book! The fruit is dry and not very sweet. I wonder if they cook it or marinate it in something. It doesn't seem like the kind of fruit you'd want to pop into your mouth for dessert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home