Sunday, October 30, 2005

Tapas!

Well, here i am at a bus station in spain waiting to take a bus to Sevilla. We have a week of brea from school, so i´m on a much needed break with 3 other teachers. we took a train then ferry to get to Tarifa, Spain. Tarifa is a really cool beach town that´s known for it´s surfing. The first thing I noticed in Tarifa is that it was so clean and i didn´t have to avoid looking at men - not that i would be staring at them, but in Africa i have trained myself to avoid looking at any faces! it is definitely refreshing to not have that in my subconscious. In Tarifa we found the Tourist Info office and found out that the bus we could take that would take us near to the beach town we wanted to get to didn´t leave until 5:30 & we would get to that small town around 8 and have to figure out how to get to hte little beach town from there. So we decided to splurge and take a taxi which was expensive but got us into the little town where we were headed by 3pm. It was the only night we didn´t have reservations for, so we wanted to make sure to get here before nightfall.

i had read on the internet that there was an annual tapas festival (little spanish appetizers) in this beach town. We were taking a gamble b-c i couldn´t find any tourist info on the town until right before we left (http://www.sanlucar.to/) so we weren´t really sure what to expect. We found a family run pension right on a cute town square. it was a tiny room, but not much at all b-w the 4 of us. the couple that owned the place live on the lower level and were really cute trying to communicate with us with our little spanish (they spoke no english). there were fair booths set up all over this one plaza downtown. the food was fabuloso! we would order a little tapas plate and each take a bite of whatever was on it and then if we liked it, order another plate or two, then move to the next booth. my favorite was a skewer of shrimp, crab & ham in garlic butter sauce. it was incredible & cheap!

today we are trying to leave sanlucar, but we couldnt find bus schedules from the internet, so we wandered around til we found the bus station and now we are taking a bus up to Sevilla and then over to Huelva and then on to a tiny beach town in portugal. we´ll come back from portugal in 3 days and spend our last 3 days in Sevilla.

Hasta luego!

4 Comments:

At 10/31/2005 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so now we know why it has been a while since the last post :)
I must say, you sure are adventuresome! I hope you are compiling a book of recipes from all the places you visit...
love you,
Aunt Shirley

 
At 11/03/2005 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your aunt - I was also beginning to wonder why you hadn't posted in a while. I wish I could join you in Sevilla, but can't wait to see the pictures.

 
At 11/06/2005 12:59 PM, Blogger Julie Kieras said...

Beq,
I am SOOO jealous you get to have tapas in Spain! Matthew & I enjoy going to this restaurant in West Hartford called Tapas, but they are Greek Tapas, not Spanish tapas... I would LOVE to be in your shoes this week, traversing the sunny south side of Europe! (And I'd actually be able to help you with the Spanish! ha ha!) Enjoy, or as the Spanish say (in some countries) Buon Suerte (Good luck)

 
At 11/08/2005 6:02 PM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

Jules - I totally could have used your spanish skills! Next time I'll let you know & you can meet me there :) I want to make the Tapas festival an annual event. It was so cool.

Shannon - Welcome to blogging - I left your first comment :)

Aunt Shirley - You'll have to come visit & help me compile the recipe book. Right now recipes are written on scraps of paper as i follow friends around the kitchen sampling these yummy N African dishes :) The tapas recipes would be complete guesses!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home