Friday, May 12, 2006

Mouse catching

My poor sister-in-law has a house mouse problem. Well, I guess it is my brother's problem too, but I heard about it from her. It made me laugh at the memory of mouse catching in France. When I was living in Bordeaux we had a mouse family take up residence in our house, and I developed extraordinary mouse catching talents. I discovered that if you see a mouse running along a wall and make direct eye contact with it, it will stop running. So then I would sit there like a cat ready to pounce keeping direct eye contact with the mouse, because it won't run until you glance away. In the meantime I would yell (they don't seem to mind yelling) for Pierre or Benoit to bring me a grocery bag which I would put over my hand, all the time staring at the mouse. Then I would suddenly pounce and catch it in my bagged hand. It worked great, except that I am not very good at killing live things once I catch them. So I would turn over the mouse to Francois who would fill up a bucket and plop the mouse in until he drowned. I really felt sorry for the drowning mouse, but not sorry enough to let them roam all over the house!

Maybe mouse-catching runs in the family - John you wanna give it a try???

10 Comments:

At 5/13/2006 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Back from LA and completely exhausted. My head hurts, and Tuesday I leave for TX again. Ugh.

I remember one time I was at my parent's house and while I was on the toilet, a mouse ran over my foot! VERY awkward situation that. . .

 
At 5/14/2006 8:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Holy moley, you must have had a lot of practice to be able to perfect your mouse catching technique so well. :) Drowning? Awwww, that seems rather cruel and a long way to die. Glad I'm not a mouse.

 
At 5/17/2006 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey beq,

no mice here in va beach. but we're still trying to find a place for when we have to move out in june. finished the semester and i think i survived since becky still recognizes who i am. i don't know how some of these other guys do it with their work schedule. have you still been feeling better? we're praying for you.

love, danny and becky

 
At 5/17/2006 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

paul weaver's blog is lukenya.blogspot.com

 
At 5/17/2006 5:40 PM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

Danny - Congrats on finishing your year without morphing out of a recognizable human state! I hope you get to relax a little and enjoy the summer. When do you head north? I have still been feeling really good. Today I had a minor setback when I ate a salad at our school cafeteria (I'm not supposed to eat raw veggies & fruits unless I kill them with bleach or an alternative), but I'm hoping no permanent relapse.

Thanks for the link to Paul - I had found him via Natasha. Sounds like you enjoyed that conference you went to. Was that after the one out in CA?
Love & Miss You!
BEQ

 
At 5/18/2006 3:05 AM, Blogger ST said...

is hunting mice considered 'adventure hunting'? I'm thoroughly impressed-talk about a better mousetrap, and cuter to boot.

 
At 5/18/2006 3:59 AM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

hmmm, probably doesn't attain the status of adventure hunting unless you're a cat! does make for some interesting "tails" though!

 
At 5/21/2006 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

!@#$%--UPDATE--^&*(
Beq - Just wanted to let you know that our mouse was evicted yesterday morning! He wandered into my Little Black Box from which there is NO return. Actually, it is a pretty cool little device run by 4 bat-trees (kudos to Grampy) creating a mousie electric chair. When the little light blinks like crazy, you got one! While she greatly appreciated the advice & very happy that it worked for you, Niki felt she wasn't up to 'bagging' the mouse.
Love Ya Lots, John & NikiSean (according to Payson they are one & the same)

 
At 5/24/2006 6:36 AM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

Glad to hear that your mousie electric chair worked! You'll have to send me a picture of that one :) Do they make COCKROACH electric chairs too??? That is my latest problem here...

 
At 5/25/2006 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Philly mice mind the yelling! I have jumped up and down screaming at them like a maniac when they pranced across the dining room floor on L St. and then returned to normal conversations with my surprised guests. They can also eat through and empty 3 entire cake boxes including the plastic linings before you realize they're even in the cupboard. Oh the joys of row houses!! The mousey electric chair does kill large insects that my everloving husband refuses to call cockroaches...But they have to wander in there first. The only solution that I found was sealing up the cracks in tiles and stuff...EW! !YUCK!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home