Tuesday, January 17, 2006

No Call, No Show

So I haven't gotten that all important phone call about my suitcase. It's now been 17 days...

I have been to the airport 5 times in the past 2 weeks looking through mountains of luggage for my baggage. The guardien of the baggage room knows me now and lets me in without the series of questions and the mandatory tour around the luggage outside of the room. Last time he even said goodbye to me by name. At the airport they insist that my suitcase is still in Paris.

I have also made 2 trips to the Air France agency downtown. My acquaintance with the man who takes care of the lost baggage claims began on a good note as I told him how I had always had very positive experiences with Air France in the past. It's true - they have the best food in the air (with the possible exception of Swiss Air who served me champagne and Swiss chocolate on a little puddle jump from Bordeaux to Basil). Anyway, before my trip to see the lost-baggage-man last night I decided that I would suggest that the best possible solution would be to send me on one of their not-quite-full flights to Paris to check out the lost luggage department at Charles de Gaulle. My theory is that it is stuck there without its tags and nobody knows what to do with it. Mr. Lost-Luggage-Man stopped and actually considered that suggestion. I was expecting for that suggestion to be shot down with an "absolutely not!" There was nobody else there waiting as they were about to close for the evening and I really think he almost said yes. But then he told me that we would have to go through sending the official report to Paris and asking them to look for my lost bag. He explained how they really were having a lot of trouble with bags getting stuck in Paris and so it would take some time to get an answer, but after three weeks we could start the process of reimbursement. I am going to try to go back in a week and see if I can talk him into that flight! It can't hurt. He didn't tell me no, so I think I have a good chance - if no one is around to hear him agree!

I miss you all (even more than my suitcase)!

7 Comments:

At 1/17/2006 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. I will be Thinking about this as you approach him for the 2nd time.

It is nice to know that
reimbursement is not too far off, (timewise), if that is the best way to resolve it, but I imagine that you would prefer to have your "own" things back...

Maybe this is Someone's way of orchestrating a free mini-break in one of your favorite places?! Should I hop on a plane and join you?! (Just kidding, though I would love to see Paris with someone who knows it as well as you do. :)

This is our college's week to invite many people who live in different cultures to come and talk about their experiences living outside of America. It is always a learning experience for our students and spurs some of them to consider jobs overseas.

Okay, I must get to a meeting.
Love you,
Aunt Shirley

 
At 1/19/2006 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Becki! I've been wanting to find a way to get in touch with you (the e-mail address I have is outdated, apparently), and I came across this, through Julie's blog. How have you been? I've been good--I'm pregnant! Due June 30. E-mail me and we'll chat! :)

Sara (Karimeddini) Swanger
amirasuraya@aol.com

 
At 1/23/2006 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca,
Are you going to try and get to the airport lugguage guy on Tues.?
I'll be thinking about you...
love, Aunt Shirley

 
At 1/24/2006 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the suitcase. I'm hoping my days of finding a loose personal item on the baggage claim from a missing bag are over. I empathize. Just wanted to let you know that Britt (my fiance) and I have decided to go to Morocco for the honeymoon, after getting married in Southern France. Let me know if you have any tips. They would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Gouge

 
At 1/25/2006 2:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Any good word on your luggage yet Bex?

How's the spring semester going for you thus far?

Much love,
Alicia

 
At 1/28/2006 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Rebecca,
I sure hope the reason you haven't posted anything lately is because the luggage guy found a way to allow you a free trip to Paris to find that luggage! It would be less expensive for them to do that, I would think.
love you,
Aunt Shirley

 
At 2/01/2006 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaahhh!!! Sorry I've been AWOL. Just got back from Arkansas. Hmmm. Yes. It's just as bad as I thought. Miles of nothing but mudpuddles. Anyway, I'm SO sorry about your suitcase! If you still don't have it by the time I come, I'll buy you another coffee mug. Hope all is well and I MISS YOU!!!! :-)
Love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home