Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Yummy Tajine Recipe

I followed my friend Lamyia around one night as she made a DELICIOUS tajine. When she told me she was making a tajine with beef and prunes I wasn't sure what to think. Prunes are OK, but making a meal out of them is a little bit odd to my American sense of cuisine. She is a fabulous cook though, so I'll try anything she makes. She didn't let us down that night either. It was one of the best meals I've had here. She served a delicious platter of tender meat topped with prunes that had been soaking in cinnamon and ginger. The dish was covered in a delicious sauce - a mix of parsley, garlic, onions, saffron, ginger and cinnamon. It was sprinkled with toasted almonds that added the perfect touch of crunch, and served with delicious bakery fresh bread to soak up all the sauce. Mmm.. I am making myself hungry! I described the dish to Dan one night when we went to this great local restaurant, and we both ordered it. Their version added apricots, dates, figs and sultanas (golden raisins) to make a scrumptious fruit medley with the prunes.

So for those of you who have already asked for the recipe, here it is! This is the version that Lamyia made - you'll have to guess on amounts if you want to add in the other fruits.

MEAT:
3 onions finely chopped
½ to 1 kilo (1-2 lbs) beef or lamb
parsley
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
½ tsp pepper
salt
1 tsp ginger
saffron (if available)
saffron coloring
cinnamon sticks
olive oil (3 Tbsp)
vegetable oil (a little)

FRUIT:
300 g prunes
4 sugar cubes
3 sticks of cinnamon
1 Tbsp ginger
1tsp pepper

DECORATION:
100 g almonds (sautéed or toasted)
1 Tbsp sesame seeds (optional)


1. Over low heat, brown the meat with the oil, the onions, salt, spices & minced garlic.
Add enough water to almost completely cover the meat (about 1 ¼ liters) and let simmer until the meat is cooked (about 40 minutes) and the water is reduced to the consistency of a sauce.

2. Put the prunes, sugar, cinnamon sticks, ginger and pepper in a second pot and add water to just cover the prunes. Cook over low heat until water is reduced and prunes are re-hydrated.

3. To serve, put the meat & sauce on a serving dish, cover with the prunes and top with the almonds and sesame seeds.

Happy Cooking!

5 Comments:

At 11/30/2005 2:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there!! Get my phone message?? About Shaun?? Can you believe it???

 
At 12/01/2005 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yum! I will try it over winter break at Mam and Grampy's!
Love, Aunt Shirley

 
At 12/01/2005 3:12 PM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

Aunt Shirley - I'd love to make it for you when I am home!

Quimit' - I didn't get it b/c I don't have that phone anymore - it stayed in the apt when I moved out.

 
At 12/08/2005 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca!
Sorry I didn't see this post until today - I had looked at the responses for your most recent post and missed this. I will tell M & G that you would love to make it for us...we'll have the ingredients waiting :) Does that mean you will make a trip to Lancaster ?! Perhaps we can get it to work out that it could be when Alex arrives home, too, and when Uncle Chas and and Aunt Bev are here. Needless to say, we can't wait to see you.
M & G and I are going to see the newly released movie of the first book in the Narnia series by C.S. Lewis tonight. Should be fun. Then, (hopefully) there is to be a major snow storm that is supposed to start in the wee hours of tonight and continue until noon tomorrow. That of course, would provide a much needed "snow day" so I can getr 30 students' portfolios corected before exam week starts next week. It is THE only reason that I welcome snow...I HATE being cold!
Okay, need to get back to work.
love you,
Aunt shirley

 
At 3/01/2007 10:23 AM, Blogger joydriven said...

i don't know how i missed all these things before...i guess it just becomes so much more real once you've been there. i have "visual hooks" to hang my memories on. in this case, an edible hook. ah...i'm already missing morocco. something about that doesn't seem quite right!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home