Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Vonage, or Not!

OK, for those of you who've been asking lately about my new Vonage box, here's the latest. I finally last week got all the necessary componants together to set up my vonage system. I got a power strip into which I can plug both my american phone and the american vonage box. Then I bought a heavy duty transformer to plug the strip into. I got a new adapter for my computer plug (since that was the trouble-some problem that caused me a month of internet disruption at home - of all the dumb problems!). So, I plugged in the Vonage box and all the lights lit up and then blinked out about 30 seconds later. I fiddled with the plug a little, and then smelled that scary burnt electronics smell. I brought the box and the new transformer up to my awesome hardware analyst at work. Turns out the transformer converts power to 126 instead of 110 power, which generally isn't a problem, except that Vonage boxes are very high maintenance. So yeah, my box is D-E-A-D! Here is the killer - he explained that the big heavy plug for the box actually transforms the power from the wall into 12 volts. So if I had just bought a 220 plug that outputs 12 volts, i wouldn't have even needed the transformer. AAAaaaahhh!!!

I just got my phone local bill for April - $150. Plus my cell phone is $20. Plus my Vonage bill $30 (and i'm not even using that!!!). This is crazyness!!!

7 Comments:

At 5/23/2006 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca,
Should have read this before sending an email to your hushmail account...oh brother, what a mess. How do things that are supposed to be easy get so complicated?!!! I think it is to try our patience :)
love you,
Aunt Shirley

 
At 5/23/2006 1:17 PM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

Yeah, I gave our hardware tech the OK to take the box apart & see if he can repair it. He said it won't look pretty when he's done (b/c it's not meant to come apart), but there's a slight chance it will be functional. Here's to hoping!

 
At 5/23/2006 3:49 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

I'm sorry to hear about all your vonage troubles. It sounds very frustrating. I'm glad you were able to listen online to NHCC. We have just started a new study - it's been awesome! Can't wait to see you in July

 
At 5/23/2006 7:37 PM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

Shannon - what happened to your blog? I've tried to get on several times today & it just comes up blank.

 
At 5/23/2006 8:49 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

I don't know what's going on. I've been having the same problem today. I've sent an email to blogger and am waiting on a response. I can go to blogger.com and log in and make changes and see my blog, but that's it. Really weird!

 
At 6/14/2006 6:46 AM, Blogger joydriven said...

skype. skype is your answer.
skype skype skype. =}

 
At 7/13/2006 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you dearly.u

 

Post a Comment

<< Home