Saturday, August 19, 2006

Quick Update

I spent most of Friday and Saturday at the clinic with my friend Reta. We went to another clinic where they do all sorts of scans, but specialize in scans of the kidneys. It was amazing to see what they can do with these new scanning devices - wow! Kinda made me want to be doctor. Anyway, they ruled out an obstruction of any veins or arteries into/out of the kidneys, which means they really don't know why her kidneys decided to shut down, but it's bacterial not organic. Her creatin & urea counts were still insanely high, so when they got those back they took her directly back to dialysis and did second round this afternoon. The doctor told us they were at 100 yesterday and at 88 today. I don't know anything about kidneys, so those didn't sound too bad to me, but she looked like I should think they sounded terrible so I asked her what a normal count was. She told me 12. I asked 12? like 1-2? Yes, 8 to 12. Oh, no wonder the first doctor freaked out when she saw the counts after the first set of blood work. So far we have seen 6 doctors - they are all collaborating quite nicely. After every set of blood work, x-rays or scans we are even given the documentation - to keep! The nephrologist seems to be doing an incredible job of keeping everybody on one page and calling the shots. We are now waiting on more blood work to come back to find out what sort of infection has caused the kidney problems.

2 Comments:

At 8/21/2006 6:05 AM, Blogger Jed Carosaari said...

Thanks for this Beq. I came back from the reunion and you were the blog that gave me the latest news on Reta. Let her know I'm praying for her when you see her next.

 
At 8/21/2006 12:44 PM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

will do. i know she'll appreciate it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home