Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A Camel for Christmas

I wanted to bring my Dad a real taste of the Saraha for Christmas. I've been on a campaign to get him and my stepmom out here for a visit. So I thought maybe if I brought home a camel it would really give him a hankering to come out for the full-blown adventure (after all, at his age my grandparents were globetrotting!) . Anyway, I wasn't really sure that would work. But then I thought some more about it and decided maybe after the camel ate up all his grass and drank the well dry a few times he would be REALLY motivated to come and bring it back. So I tried to think of where I would be able to get a cheap camel. I don't think my dad's ever ridden a camel before (although I think Geordie did that at the Bronx Zoo), and he probably wouldn't know the difference between a cheap camel and an expensive model, so I figured the cheap kind would do. Besides, camel transportation is extremely uncomfortable after a couple of hours, so there's no sense in spending the money on something that is really just for looks. Last year I met a man in the medina who told me his family owned 500 camels and he was asking which one of the young teachers I was showing around he could have as his 3rd wife. Apparently, he had earned enough money to be able to afford the 3rd one. As a good Muslim, he can only have 4, so the selection process has to be pretty tough for the 3rd one cause he's only got one chance left after that! I guess an American sounded like a good option for number 3. Anyway, since I didn't sell him one of the teachers (I told him he would have to go ask their dads), I didn't really think he would give me a good deal on a camel. I went to the medina anyway...

I didn't find any live camels (I didn't have time for a trip down to the desert), but I found a dead one. I decided that it would be easier to get this one through customs anyway, so I brought it home and wrapped it up. My dad's been wearing it to work and getting a few compliments. So far he hasn't booked a flight yet. Maybe next year I'll kidnap my brother.

Dad in his new camel skin coat

12 Comments:

At 1/23/2007 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Bec, your sure made up for lost time! All these wonderful pics and stories...
I couldn't imagine how you were going to get a dead camel home and didn't even think creatively enough to see where you were heading with the story. Hey, Jack, the "camel" looks wonderful on you. Now when are you going to get those tickets?!
love you, Aunt Shirley

 
At 1/23/2007 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job, Sis. Hey, do we have a good looking Dad or what?! (The coat really shows that off!)

 
At 1/24/2007 1:20 PM, Blogger Sara said...

My, you've been busy blogging lately. ;)

Gorgeous coat--who knew they made coats out of camels?

Tony rode a camel in Egypt years ago (he was there for a missions trip). He loves to tell that story.

 
At 1/24/2007 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Becky! At least, that's what we used to call you back when we were kids. Mary Carter here, former Mary Karimeddini. I found your blog when you commented on my brother's. It's good to see pics of your family. I'm glad you guys are all doing well!

 
At 1/26/2007 11:32 PM, Blogger Jed Carosaari said...

Did you try the market in Ishtar, where you need to ask Mohammed for a blind camel?

So glad you went with this type of dead camel rather than the other one.

Also good that you've found a good response to this oft-repeated question. I've found my best hope is to retreat into religion.

 
At 1/30/2007 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun is that?! :) A camel gift!

Elissa

 
At 2/01/2007 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What lovely pictures! Of course the contents were excdptional. It was so good to talk to you just before you left to go back. We talked to your Dad last night and learned that your luggage made the trip with you. Glad to hear it. You might be interested to learn that we woke up to about 1 1/2 inches of snow this morning. It gradually turned to freezing rain then to rain. Now it has stopped. We are looking forward to it being gone by tomorrow. Tracey said that Brynn had been making "carpet angels" for the last few weeks, so she filmed her making the snow kind this morning. Now that we have had winter here in SC, spring should arrive sometime next week :o). Take care and enjoy the rest of your school year.
Love Nina

 
At 2/08/2007 8:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Goodness, I am certainly behind at checking out your blog! Looks like you had an absolutely wonderful Christmas at home with your loving family. That camel coat looks fabulous on your dad. Much easier to transport than a live camel I'm sure. :) Maybe we should change the lyrics of the old song to, "I want a moroccan camel for Christmas, only a moroccan camel will do . . . " Do you know that one?

 
At 2/14/2007 4:49 PM, Blogger Eden said...

Wow! A camel skin coat, that's one coat you don't hear about often. Thank you for stopping by.
Happy Valentine's Day!

 
At 3/19/2007 4:56 PM, Blogger drh said...

It's been about two months since Bequita17 blogged. We should be due for about six new posts any day now...

 
At 3/21/2007 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She having computer connectivity problems(at her apartment).

 
At 3/31/2007 9:05 PM, Blogger drh said...

Camel, camel, camel! April Fools!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home