Sunday, November 12, 2006

Four-Year-Old Debate

There was a debate in my class that lasted all of last week. Not too many weeks ago we learned our colors. The kids are great at picking out Red and Yellow and Pink and Green, Purple and Orange and Blue (mainly due to our Rainbow Song). A lot of them have also grasped the concept of black, white, brown and gray. They proudly show off their knowledge whenever they are asked what color something is. On Tuesday (Monday was a holiday here) they were stumped when I walked into class. Some of them laughed, some of them pointed and others just stared wide-eyed at the new Miss Rebecca. I promptly plopped down on the floor so they could get a good look at the new variety of colors sprouting out of my head. Most of them gingerly reached out fingers to touch a few strands and make sure it wasn't a new clown wig for the class. With my question, the debate began:

"What color is it?"
"Red"
"Purple"
"No, Pink!"
"Red and Pink"
"Black"
"No, Red. Just Red"
"Is there any brown?"
"No. Red, Black and Purple."



I have since found the debate is not limited to four-year-olds. I'll let you decide for yourself...

13 Comments:

At 11/12/2006 2:50 PM, Blogger drh said...

They checked to see whether or not it was a clown wig?!??

Miskeena!

God looks at the heart. Kindergarteners look at the outward appearance.

Both are in good shape from my vantage point.

 
At 11/12/2006 3:19 PM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

well... i have been known to sport the curly blue clown wig at times. until the first epidemic of lice hit. fortunately we caught it before it had spread class-wide :)

 
At 11/12/2006 6:21 PM, Blogger Jed Carosaari said...

I bow down, Beq- you've done me one better. I enjoyed messing with my kids' heads, but I never was able to achieve it by messing with my own! :-)

 
At 11/13/2006 2:14 PM, Blogger ST said...

wow, its amazing how hair color can bring out one's eyes!

 
At 11/13/2006 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! It'z Beqt. Auntie Beqt! It is Mommy, it is!
(apparently Piper approves!)

 
At 11/14/2006 6:20 PM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

AAAaaawww! Give Piper a big bisous from Auntie Beqt!

 
At 11/15/2006 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean is pretty good with his colors and he guesses "Um, green?"
Sorry Beq, you must have read the label wrong!

 
At 11/16/2006 3:05 PM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

Green, huh? I just got asked this week by our school director and a couple of board members what colors my hair has been. After going down the list, I told them that green was the one color that didn't seem to have hit my hair yet. Maybe I spoke too soon!

 
At 11/16/2006 5:17 PM, Blogger drh said...

Now I somewhat shudder to ask... Do you mean to tell us that blue has been on your head in a non-clown wig form?

I mean, if it has, that’s cool. I’ll still be your friend.

(I’ll just pretend to have lice.)

 
At 11/16/2006 6:35 PM, Blogger drh said...

Then again, if I learn that you dyed your hair with perfectly good blue Kool-Aid, I might be forced to rethink that last comment.

 
At 11/20/2006 5:34 PM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

No - the Perfectly Good Kool-Aid was ORANGE :)

The blue was much more creative. My best friend and I had purple and blue mascara. We also had blond highlights right in the front of our hair, falling along the sides of our faces. So, we occasionally doctored them up with the aforementioned purple and blue mascara :)

 
At 11/26/2006 3:24 PM, Blogger drh said...

Have you ever used Kool-Aid to dye your hair?

 
At 12/03/2006 9:22 AM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

yeah, it was orange

 

Post a Comment

<< Home