Saturday, January 20, 2007

Before the Throne

Sometimes a song is the most beautiful expression of my deepest feelings. How perfectly this one captures my thoughts today! I can't help wanting to share. It is the amazing story of God's grace reaching down to show me mercy. It is the story of Christ's intercession for me before God's throne, even when I am guilty.

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong and perfect plea,
A great high priest whose name is Love
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on his hands;
My name is written on his heart.
I know that while in heaven he stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair
and tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see him there
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because the sinless Saviour died
My sinful soul is counted free,
For God the Just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me.

Behold him there the Risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless Righteousness,
The great unchangeable I AM,
The King of Glory and of Grace.
One with himself I cannot die;
My soul is purchased by his blood.
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Saviour and my God.

Sovereign Grace Music
http://www.sovereigngraceministries.org/music/

8 Comments:

At 1/20/2007 6:07 PM, Blogger drh said...

I like this hymn, too. When I was growing up, I went to a church that sang a lot of hymns, back in the day when hymns were becoming less and less popular. I hoped that somehow, some way hymns would survive, be set to contemporary music, or whatever was necessary to bring them back into the mainstream.

In the past several years, it’s been neat to see brand new hymns popping up, some of which even sound like they’ve been around for ages.

 
At 1/20/2007 11:36 PM, Blogger Sara said...

I love that song--I have a Sonicflood CD with this song on it, and every time I hear it, it gives me chills.

 
At 1/21/2007 1:30 PM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

Really, that's an old hymn? I had no idea! I have really enjoyed hearing some of the updated renditions of the old words. They are so strong.

 
At 1/21/2007 2:22 PM, Blogger drh said...

The words were apparently written in 1863 by Charitie Lees Smith Bancroft. Want to hear it to yet a different (but probably familiar) tune?

Neither of the links above feature the contemporary tune you probably had in mind.

A new tune was recently written for the hymn by Vikki Cook, sometime around 1997.

(I didn’t know these details about this specific hymn until just now looking it up on the Internet.)

 
At 1/21/2007 3:40 PM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

yeah, the vikki cook version is the one my church sings. i LOVE it! oooh - that first tune you have linked reminds me of the organ week at st johns :P

 
At 1/21/2007 4:32 PM, Blogger drh said...

Actually, the first hymn I linked above has the same tune as “Sweet Hour of Prayer”, a hymn I grew up with and like. Click here for the words, tune and a picture of an “apostle” that kind of looks to me like Morgan Freeman.

The second hymn I linked above reminds me of the organ at St. J’s, and quite frankly, that one does just sound old.

 
At 2/04/2007 6:21 PM, Blogger joydriven said...

so i hope you know, this is my favorite favorite.

and i bought tix to marrakech tonight. i can't spell it, but i'm going there.

 
At 2/19/2007 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, rebecca, this is absolutely one of my favorites. i've only become familiar with it in the last year and i can't hardly get past the first 3 lines before i totally choke up and can no longer sing for the rest of the song! the words are so completely powerful and move me. i just typed out the words a few weeks ago and emailed them to some friends because i just needed to share it with them :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home