Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Reality Check

Yesterday Morning, 6:12am

Outside the wind has been howling and rain has been periodically pounding the windows and then taking a break. Right now I hear it in sheets blowing down the street. I complain about not having heat inside, about being cold, while I have seen the bidonvilles - the shanty towns: slabs of cardboard and sheets of metal stacked to form shelters. The lucky ones have found sheets of plywood. Some use particle board, others have stolen highway signs to us as roofs. The people huddled inside are wet and cold right now. It's been cold and wet for a week. Even indoors here I can see my breath. Many of them are sick. There will be no steaming mug of coffee to warm them up this morning. Probably many have huddled unsleeping through the night, while I complain about only having three and a half hours of sleep in my warm comfortable bed.

Dear Father,
Forgive my ingratitude! Thank you for your undeserved gifts - your love that has found me and guided me across three continents, the physical comforts of warm clothes and a dry bed, a family whose love stretches the ocean to remind me of your own. Open my eyes to bless others.

7 Comments:

At 1/31/2006 7:02 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Thank you Rebecca for that reality check. I am reminded of how I felt when I went to Romania and the gratitude I feel for the smallest of comforts. We are truly blessed and should daily be reminded of all that we have. Thank you for reminding me once again!

 
At 2/01/2006 1:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

How often we neglect to see the simple and yet very necessary gifts of God! Thanks for the reminder of all that we have to be thankful for.

Love ya,
Alicia

 
At 2/07/2006 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got you a new Starbucks mug!!! Miss you!
~Kernie

 
At 2/08/2006 4:07 AM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

Woohoo! Can't wait for you to bring it in April, Quimit!

 
At 2/10/2006 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca,
Forgot to let you know that we received the other "summary of 1st 6 months" e-mail while I was visiting at Mam and Grampy's last week. I'll see them this weekend too, as M's B.D. is Tuesday.
Love you!
Aunt Shirley

 
At 2/15/2006 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh what a treat to hear your voice last night...we were all thrilled to hear your birthday greeting to Mam, but disappointed to have to listen to it on voicemail!
We arrived home w/in 3 minutes of your call :(
Rachel also called. Has she talked to your recently about some important news?!
love you,
Aunt Shirley

 
At 2/20/2006 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rebecca, it's Pam Swartwood! I've just been sitting here for a very long time reading all about your adventures! Safety pins... who would have thought? I'm glad you're doing well! I'll be in touch!
Pam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home