Thursday, November 09, 2006

Frenchmen Beware!

I came home this afternoon to find our maid finishing up and getting ready to head for home. She LOVES to talk despite the fact that I am Arabic-impaired and she knows about the same number of words in French. These conversations can take an hour or so. Today I came home to work on our preschool rubrics for the French K4 program, so I was hoping to keep the conversation down to about 15 minutes or so, seeing how we never really seem to understand much that the other is saying. We greeted each other for about 5 minutes and asked three or four times how the other’s family was doing. As usual she mentioned something about France (I think she likes using the word Franzia because it’s one of the words she knows I’ll understand). She said something about a house in Oulfa (a neighborhood) but I didn’t really catch on to what she was talking about. Then she started talking about how much she hoped I would find a husband (you can pretty much guarantee that is going to be the way an older woman here will steer the conversation). I think she then told me that she got married at 15 years old, had a daughter at 16 and a son at 19! Whew! She continued talking about a husband and how he worked in the phosphate industry. At this point I thought she was talking about her husband. It turns out she’s on the lookout for MY husband. When she told me about Oulfa she meant she had started working at a nice villa in Oulfa and the owner was a French man whose work involves phosphate (I’m not even really sure what phosphate is except I faintly remember it showing up on the chart of elements in high school, I think). So anyway, she hasn’t yet met this French man, but I think she told me that when she meets him she is going to really check him out. If he is good, she wants to hook us up so that I can live in a nice villa and he can buy me a nice car. But she said (I think) if he is not beautiful, then he’s no good and she’ll have to keep looking!

12 Comments:

At 11/09/2006 1:11 PM, Blogger drh said...

So he has phosphates. Will you have chemistry?

 
At 11/09/2006 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a great comment drh!

Hi Rebecca,
I can just envision the conversation you had. I was in stitches reading it, but I bet it wasn't as much fun for you!
love you,
Aunt Shirley

 
At 11/09/2006 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca,
Be careful meeting men over there. We want you to come home when your time there is up. We are fine. Fall has been pretty nice here. Today it got to 75 and tomorrow we expect it to be 78. Naturally Tracey isn't pleased with the mild weather. It will be cooling down over the weekend. Zorro is full grown now. He is handsome. He turned one on Oct. 25. Tracey, Bill,and the kids came for a big cookie. Tracey and the kids dressed in black with black wiskers and nose painted on their faces. Robin had ears and a tail. They looked cute. Zorro did his tricks for them.
We are getting ready for our annual Anniversary Sunday on the 19th.at church.
Are you coming home for Christmas? If so, will you have time to come south? Hope so!
Love, Nina

 
At 11/09/2006 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Beq! Thanks for the great laugh. Sally & I really enjoyed it! Do avoid that cleaning lady just in case he is "beautiful". Are we allowed to Villa-Shop for a beautiful man in Philly for you?
There is this place called the U.I. House... love rae

 
At 11/11/2006 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, so if I add "ha, ha, ha, just kidding" to my previous comment, will I be back in your good graces?!! love, your sis

 
At 11/12/2006 6:12 PM, Blogger Jed Carosaari said...

I hope the two of you will be very happy together.

 
At 11/14/2006 12:19 PM, Blogger E.T. said...

Ooh la la!

 
At 11/14/2006 6:18 PM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

Rae - The UI house... is this the house where the one man is married and the other two are under-age (kissable none-the-less)? XOXOXO (those are for Payson, Piper & Silas)

Yes, I was trying to keep a straight face myself when I figured out what she was trying to say!

I will MISS anniversary sunday. Give everyone there my love. I am coming to NJ/PA for Christmas, but with all the running around and catching up with cousins, don't think i will make it down to SC. Can you come up??? Bring Zorro with you (don't tell my dad I said that)!

 
At 11/14/2006 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

UI House...uhm, no, it's not...
Love, Rae

 
At 11/20/2006 5:37 PM, Blogger Bequita17 said...

oh, THAT UI house. are there beautiful men living it? sure. can i bring my maid to check them out for me?

 
At 12/22/2006 2:33 AM, Blogger joydriven said...

LOL

and drh, that was good.

if he's beautiful AND has a brother, let me know...

 
At 12/22/2006 1:43 PM, Blogger drh said...

Thanks, Joy Supersiblings.com and Aunt Shirley! It’s almost like I have my own comments fan club on Bequita17’s blog.

Merry Christmas, one and all!

(I hope Bequita17 posts again before January. If not, I might post my monthly "rabbit" comment for January on the same post where I made my December "rabbit" comment.

Also, I might comment at midnight, thus revealing that my New Year's party mostly involves bloggers.

If there are any beautiful bloggers out there with siblings, though, I'll be sure to let you know.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home